Schema Therapy Training CourseFebruary 1, 2018
Externship Training – Emotionally Focused Therapy for CouplesApril 26, 2018
Online workshop: MALINGERING: Detection Tools for South African Psychologists
Patients might feign cognitive impairment to get out of trouble, to gain attention/sympathy, for financial gain or other reasons. It is the responsibility of the psychologist conducting a psychological assessment, to know when and how to assess for invalid performance, and when and how to respond to it.
Accredited with 6 CEU’s in Level 1
(Accreditation number PSB002/014/04/2022)
Presented by Dr Sharon Truter
Registered Neuropsychologist and Counselling Psychologist
Learn how to discern valid from invalid performance and symptoms in patients referred for:
- Brain injury assessments for personal injury and/or medical negligence claims;
- Disability assessments;
- ADHD assessments (with the aim of receiving stimulant medication);
- Criminal liability assessments;
- Competence to stand trial;
- Pain and fatigue-related medical disorders and
- Psychiatric assessments.
- How common misperceptions of brain functioning can alert psychologists to feigned cognitive impairment;
- What behavioural signs should raise suspicion of invalid performance;
- If/how/from what age children can successfully feign cognitive impairment (and why);
- How language and level/quality of education affects certain performance validity tests in the South African context and
- Acceptable and unacceptable criteria for the conclusion of invalid performance and/or symptom exaggeration.
Receive tips on:
- Addressing suspected performance and symptom invalidity in reports;
- Giving feedback about suspected malingering/insufficient effort to patients and
- The importance of treating patients with respect despite suspected invalid performance.
Date: 22 June 2022
Place: Online via Zoom
Times: 09:00 – 17:00
Cost: R1150-00 (incl. VAT)
Who May Register: Clinical, Counselling, Educational or Research Psychologists, Neuropsychologists, psychometrists and psychology students
How to Register: Complete the registration form and send it, with proof of payment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact person: Tanya Williams
Telephone: 021 852 3010